Steve Bruce leaves Newcastle by “mutual consent”
Steve Bruce left his post as Newcastle manager by “mutual consent”, 13 days after a Saudis takeover at St James’ Park, the Premier League club announced on Wednesday.
Bruce, whose departure was widely anticipated, took charge of his 1,000th game as manager in Sunday’s 3-2 loss to Tottenham – his only game under the new owners.
His assistant, Graeme Jones, will take charge of the squad for Saturday’s trip to Crystal Palace, with the Magpies still chasing their first Premier League win of the season and only one place behind. table.
Former Roma coach Paulo Fonseca is the bookmakers favorite to succeed Bruce, with former Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe and former Borussia Dortmund manager Lucien Favre also linked to the post.
[READ ALSO] UCL: Salah delivers again as Liverpool beat Atletico to 10
“Newcastle United can confirm that Steve Bruce has stepped down as head coach by mutual consent,” said a club statement, which confirmed that the search for a new head coach was underway.
âHe is leaving the Magpies after more than two years at the head of the club, having led the club to 13th and 12th places in the Premier League. “
Bruce, 60, said he was grateful for the opportunity to run the “unique” club, saying he had seen “ups and downs” during his tenure.
“He’s a club with incredible support, and I hope the new owners can get him to where we all want him to be,” he said. âI wish everyone the best of luck for the rest of this season and beyond. “
In an interview with the Daily Telegraph, Bruce admitted that Newcastle’s post could be his last.
âIt has taken its toll on my whole family because they are all Geordies (from the Newcastle area) and I can’t ignore it,â he said.
“It will probably be done for me as a manager – until I get a phone call from a president somewhere asking if I can give them a hand,” he added. “Never say never, I learned that.”
Bruce, who managed a long list of clubs including Sunderland and Aston Villa, also criticized the critics who he said never gave him a chance at the club.
“By the time I got to Newcastle I thought I could handle whatever was thrown at me but it was very, very difficult,” he said.
“Never to be really wanted, to feel that people wanted me to fail, to read people constantly saying that I would fail, that I was useless, a big waste of space, a stupid and tactically inept head of cabbage or whatever . And that was from day one.
– Takeover of Newcastle –
The Â£ 305million ($ 420million) Newcastle takeover was approved by the Premier League earlier this month after receiving legally binding assurances that the Saudi state would not control the club.
This was despite the fact that Saudi Arabia’s state sovereign wealth fund – the Public Investment Fund – owns 80% of the club and that Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman is listed as chairman of the PIF board. .
The protracted takeover, which ended the 14-year reign of unpopular Mike Ashley, has been criticized by human rights groups as a Saudi attempt to ‘sportwash’ its reputation on the international stage .
Bruce was a deeply unpopular figure with Newcastle supporters, in part because of his past as manager of rivals north-east Sunderland.
A recent Newcastle United Supporters Trust poll found 94% of fans wanted him to quit.
However, he kept the club afloat by avoiding relegation issues during his two full seasons in charge despite the limited resources provided by Ashley.
A wave of Saudi investment is expected to transform Newcastle’s fortunes on the pitch, like English champions Manchester City and French power Paris Saint-Germain.
The club have not won a major trophy since 1969 despite the fact that they regularly attract over 50,000 spectators.