Fix HP Printer Error 49.4c02 on Windows PC
The main cause of the error 49.4c02 On your HP printer is a miscommunication between your computer and the printer or due to outdated printer firmware. It also appears when you try to print a PDF that contains complex fonts.
If the 49.4c02 error you are experiencing is due to poor communication between your PC and your printer or outdated firmware, you may experience the problem all the time. But for this last reason, the error only shows up when you want to print specific PDFs.
How to Fix HP Printer Error 49.4c02 on Windows PC?
The very first thing to do before trying other solutions is to turn off the printer and unplug it from the network and the power outlet. Then reconnect the printer, turn it back on and check. If the error persists, try the following troubleshooting steps:
- Update the HP printer firmware.
- Print your PDF as an image.
- Install and use PCL6 drivers.
- Disable advanced printing features.
Below I will detail these solutions.
1]Update HP printer firmware
Similar to updating your computer or smartphone, your printer’s firmware must be up to date to function optimally. HP periodically deploys these updates to fix bugs, such as error 49.4c02.
However, the first thing you need to do before proceeding with the firmware update is to put the printer back in its Ready state. A printer in the Ready state has no pending print jobs.
How to put HP printer in ready state
- press the windows key and type Printers and scanners. Click on Printers and scanners from the proposals.
- Next, click on your HP printer from the list on the Printers and scanners window, then select the See what prints option.
- Finally, right-click on an empty space in this window and choose Cancel all documents.
- The above steps work when you are the only one using the printer. If the printer is on a network and shared with devices on that network, you cannot perform the above operations on all devices on the network. In this case, simply unplug the network cable behind the printer and restart the printer with the network cable unplugged.
- With your printer now in Ready State mode, you can now update the firmware.
You can either upgrade your HP printer firmware using the Firmware Update Utility or over the Internet using an FTP connection. I will show you how to upgrade your printer firmware in these two ways.
How to Update HP Printer Firmware Using Firmware Update Utility?
- First, you need to print a configuration page from the HP printer giving the error to find out its current firmware version. To check this, go to the Configuration section of the printer menu and select Administration (Where Informationdepending on the printer).
- Knowing your current firmware, go to HP Driver Support Page and type your printer model in the field Enter my HP model number domain. This takes you to the model-specific page.
- Next, choose your current version of Windows from the Operating system options, and you will see all available firmware downloads for your printer that are compatible with your version of Windows.
- This page lists the most recent firmware version at the top. Download this firmware if it is a later version than you currently have.
After the firmware download is complete, double-click the firmware update utility file to run it. Select your printer from the drop-down menu. If your printer is on a network, you must connect the printer directly to your computer using a USB cable. Finally, press the Send Firmware and wait for the firmware update to complete.
How do I update my printer via FTP?
- First, confirm your printer’s IP address from the Configuration page as indicated above. Read this article for Wi-Fi printers.
- Then go to the HP Driver Support Pageand in the Enter my HP model number field, enter the model number of your printer. Press ENTER and you will access the download page specific to your printer.
- Now click on the drop-down menu below Operating systems and choose one from Operating system independent and Cross-platform.
- Click on the Firmware section to expand it and view firmware downloads for your HP printer. Next, tap the download button next to the latest firmware listed at the top to begin downloading.
When the download is complete, double click on the file to start the installation. Next, select your desktop as the location on your computer to which you want to extract the .RTU file.
Once the extraction is complete, go to your desktop, click on the .RTU file and press CTRL+C to copy the file.
Then press the Windows key + E combination to open Windows Explorer. Here, click on the address bar and type ftp://[188.8.131.52] and press ENTER. Replace “184.108.40.206” with the correct IP address of your printer.
Now navigate to the HARBOR folder and press CTRL+V to paste the .RTU file you copied from your desktop. If you don’t have the PORT folder, right click on an empty area and go to New > Folder. Rename this new folder to HARBOR and paste the .RTU file into the folder.
2]Print your PDF as an image
Most users get error 49.4c02 on their HP printers mainly when trying to print a PDF with unusual font styles. If updating your printer’s firmware does not resolve the issue, you can work around the error by printing your PDF as an image instead.
Before going any further, make sure there is no PDF in the print queue and restart the printer.
Open the PDF you want to print and press the button Windows key + P combination. On the To print window, click Advanced.
Then check the box next to Print as image.
REMARK: The exact location of the Print as image The option varies depending on your printer model.
Finally, click on the Okay button then press To print. You should now see your PDF printed without any problems. If you still get error 49.4c02 when you print your PDF as an image, that means the PDF itself is corrupt.
3]Install and use PCL6 drivers
Your printer drivers use scripting languages, such as PCL6, PCL5, and PCL5e. Users who encountered error 49.4c02 solved the problem by using PCL6 drivers.
You can also download PCL6 drivers from the HP Driver Support Website. Here, type the model number of your printer in the Enter my HP model number field and choose your version of Windows in the Operating system scrolling menu.
On this page, click to expand Driver – Universal Print Driver. Locate HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL6 and hit it To download button next to this option.
Once the download is complete, double-click the downloaded file to run it. Choose your preferred location and Relax the file. Then follow the given instructions to complete the installation.
Finally, restart your computer to get rid of the error.
4]Disable advanced printing features
Your printer may have certain features enabled that are incompatible with your configuration. You should disable these features and test to see if they are causing the 49.4c02 error.
press the windows key and seek Printers. To select Printers and scanners from the proposals.
On the next screen, click on your HP printer. Then select the Advanced option. Go to Advanced printing functions and change this option to Disabled.
Related: Fixing HP printer failure error, there is a problem with the printer or the ink system.
What does error 49.4c02 mean?
Error 49.4c02 means that your HP printer encountered a problem while performing a print job. You must cancel all jobs in the print queue before solving the problem or, in some cases, work around the error by printing another document.
What causes error 49.4c02?
The main cause of the 49.4c02 error is a communication failure between the printer and your device sending the print job. This is also due to outdated firmware and PDF files with complex content.
Why is my wireless printer giving me an error?
The most likely reason printers throw errors is when there is a problem with the printer or its configuration. Printer errors have designated error codes that allow you to identify the specific cause of the problem.