5 Ways to Fix Slow Printing Issue on Any Printer on Windows and Mac
Does your printer also slow down a lot when you try to print something from your Windows PC or Mac? We also noticed that our HP printer was taking a long time to print a page, so we decided to fix this problem once and for all. So, if you are also facing a similar problem with your HP printer or any other printer then these fixes will solve your problem. So let’s get started.
Also, Read | Top 12 Ways to Fix Gmail Running Slow on Your PC
Ways to Fix Slow Printing Time on Windows and Mac
There are several ways to fix your printer’s slow print time when printing from a Windows or Mac. These fixes solved the problem in our case. So let’s see these solutions.
Check cartridges and paper tray
The first thing you need to check to fix slow printing from your printer is whether the ink toner and cartridges are functioning properly and not dried out. If one or both of them are dry, replace them. Next, check if the paper tray has enough pages. In case the paper tray runs out of pages, it’s time to buy a new pack of print paper and refill the tray. Once done, try printing again, if the problem persists, move on to the second solution.
To note: Some older HP printers allow printing using only one cartridge, which can significantly slow down print times. Make sure both cartridges are filled and properly installed.
Also, Read | Top 10 Ways to Fix Slow Mouse Movements and Lags in Windows 10 and 11
Update the printer driver
Another fix to resolve slow print time on your printer is to check if there are any pending updates for the printer driver. Make sure to update your printer driver to the latest version.
Change printing preferences
There is a high probability that your printing preferences are the cause of the slow printing time. A minor error in print settings can significantly affect print time. Here’s how you can fix it.
1. Go to your computer Printers and scanners the window.
2. Find your printer in the list, click on it and choose Manage.
3. Choose Printing preferences.
4. Click on the Paper/Quality or Paper tab.
5. Choose Plain paper in the Paper type or Type domain.
6. Adjust the print quality of your printer by going to –
- Chart and choose Standard for the Quality input (for HP laser printers) or,
- By selecting Normal or Draft in the Print Quality field (for HP LaserJet and inkjet printers).
Also, Read | How to Remove Apps and Programs That Slow Down Windows 10 and 11 PC
Check DPI settings when printing
Another thing to note when printing is the DPI (Dots Per Inch) settings. If you accidentally selected a higher DPI, the printer will take longer to print a page. As a higher DPI is used to print high quality images. You should set it to the standard DPI i.e. 300-600 which is suitable for both text and images with faster print speeds.
Also, Read | [Working] 5 Ways to Fix Windows 11 Slow Boot Time
Bonus: Other Things to Fix Slow Printing
Here are a few other things you should check, in order to fix your printer’s slow printing speed, on Windows or Mac.
- Disable Quiet Mode in Windows or macOS, as it slows down print speed to reduce noise.
- If the printer is connected to a shared network, make sure there are no pending print commands in the queue.
- For a wired printer, reconnect the cables or use another cable if available.
- In the case of a wireless printer, make sure the printer is close to your PC or Mac, for a stronger network.
The methods described above solved the slow printing problem of our HP printer. These methods are not brand specific, so no matter what printer you have, we are sure these methods will help you as well. Stay tuned for more tech tips and tricks.
You can also follow us for instant tech news at Google News or for tips and tricks, reviews of smartphones and gadgets, join GadgetsToUse Telegram Group or for the latest review videos, subscribe GadgetsToUse Youtube Channel.